Ingredients For The Dish:
- 6 ounces [170 g] kipper
- 1 cup [250 mL] boiling water
- 3/8 cup [94 mL] long grain rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces [85 g] Cheshire or mild cheese, grated
- l/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg, white and yolk separated
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] breadcrumbs
- Dill sprigs, to decorate
- 5/8 cup [156 mL] sour cream
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] freshly chopped or 1 teaspoon [5 mL] dried dill
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] lemon juice
Skin kipper; break meat into pieces.
In a bowl, pour boiling water over rice; sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
Cover and microwave on ‘MAXIMUM’ for 3 minutes; microwave on ‘MEDIUM’ for 12 minutes more, stirring twice.
Mix cooked rice into fish pieces, mix in grated cheese, Tabasco sauce, egg yolk; pepper.
Shape mixture into 8 patties.
In a small bowl, whip egg white.
Spoon onto flour and breadcrumbs onto two separate small plates.
Coat patties with flour; brush patties with beaten egg white and then roll patties into breadcrumbs.
Refrigerate patties, uncovered, until ready to serve.
Mix together sour cream, chopped dill and lemon juice.
Pour sauce into a sauceboat, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Unwrap and arrange patties onto a plate, side-by-side.
Reheat patties for 1 to 2 minutes.
Spoon just a little of the sauce over patties.
Garnish patties with dill sprigs.
Serve, along with remaining sauce, in sauceboat.